Here are a few tips from our partner the Green Business Association to take small steps to reduce energy consumption in yourhome. Implementing a few energy-saving measures will help fight air pollution, global warming and reduce your family’s electric or natural gas bill.
- Invest in energy saving power strips, which can make up for their costs in just a few weeks.
- Turn off lights when not in use, especially in bathrooms, kitchens and lower use areas.
- Take advantage of natural daylight and reduce lighting inside the home.
- Be use to power down home office equipment when you are done working.
- By turning off or at least powering down your PCs during periods of inactivity – such as at night or over the weekend – Energy Star estimates that firms can save anywhere between $25-$75 per PC per year.
- Set computers to switch to a low-power sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity and make sure to optimize efficiency settings on all newer computers.
- Switch all light bulbs to compact fluorescents.