Cold and flu season is here and if you have kids (especially school-aged) then you now it can e hard to escape the germs. Sleep-deprived parents everywhere scratch their heads and rack their brains trying to figure out how to keep kids (and themselves) from getting sick. A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals is a must, as is a healthy lifestyle and of course we all know that washing your hands is key. But there are still places in your house that are harbouring the germs that get you sick and only simple, old fashioned cleaning will get rid of them.
- Doorknobs, faucets, cabinet handles, fridge handle: These are surfaces that our hands touch every day and they should be wipe down at least once per week. Natural cleaners like vinegar work, as does a diluted solution of chlorine bleach and water.
- Toothbrushes: These germ harbouring utensils should be replaced every three months or immediately after a contagious illness.
- Hand railings: do you use the railings when walking up and down the stairs? Most if us do, and these are easy to forget when cleaning time coms around. Try to wipe them down once per week.
- Keyboards, computer mouse, and game play remotes: Wondering why your kids keep passing that cold back and forth? Better give a disinfecting wipe to their electronics. Don’t use anything that’s more than slightly damp as eater will obviously ruin them.
- Phone: Whether it’s you cell or landline you may want to give your devices a wipe down once a week because not only are germy hands on them constantly, but also airborne germs from peoples’ mouths.
- Light Switches: These are in every home and they are usually covered in everyday germs. Wiping these down once a week is a must.
- Toilet Lever: We all know why this is dirty! Don’t forget to wipe it down well when you’re cleaning your bathroom.
Washing your hands frequently with hot soapy water will definitely help keep these surfaces clean, as well as wiping down once a week with a vinegar spray, chlorine and water or a natural disinfectant wipe or other natural cleaner.